Disclaimer

I do not write well, I do not play music well, I do however enjoy mumbling about the music that I listen to.

Friday, May 4, 2012

Portland Cello Project



The Portland Cello Project's Record Store Day release Homage is amazing! Plus it is on orange marble vinyl and limited to 350 copies worldwide. I stopped at Music Millennium early in the morning and could barely make it upstairs to the vinyl section. The already narrow aisles of the store had now turned into squirming, snaking, lines of music lovers all waiting to purchase the music they had carefully yet hurriedly selected. After browsing the vinyl for a few minutes I realized I did not want to stand in the ever growing line that was already at least a forty-five minutes long. Because of this, I passed up on the Portland Cello Project (PCP) vinyl as well a few other selections, assuming that I would find them elsewhere. After visiting Anthem Records, Everyday Music (which I figured would have PCP), I was lucky enough to get one of the last copies at Jackpot Records. I am excited I found it, it was the only record on my list that I really "needed". It is that good. Portland Cello Project has three other albums on Compact Disc, Homage is their first on vinyl. A non-limited version of the vinyl, plus a CD copy can be found on their web store. PCP's style is based on upon the idea of playing cellos in a way your normally wouldn't hear cellos being played. For Homage specifically the idea was to interrupt Hip-Hop instrumentals. On this album a few of the songs they tackle are by OutKast, Talib Kweli, even Lil Wayne's hit Lollipop is covered. Most of the songs stick to the original, however certain tracks take on a life of their own and you would never realize it was a play on another song. Many of the songs feature drums, trombones and other orchestra like instruments. PCP's crew is always changing depending on who is available for tour, and it is rumored that they have over 900 songs to choose from when they play shows, therefore no show is ever the same set. Earlier this month they played a concert of Pantera covers exclusively. I could go on and on about the group, but if you would like ore info about Portland Cello Project it can be found here and here. Homage, best buy of the year so far, will probably finish out the year as the best buy.
Next review will be on John Haughm.


No comments:

Post a Comment