Disclaimer

I do not write well, I do not play music well, I do however enjoy mumbling about the music that I listen to.

Monday, May 14, 2012

Impractical Cockpit

Continuing my list of music I picked up last month on Record Store Day is an album by a New Orleans group Impractical Cockpit called, To Be Treated. This one I got from my third stop at Everyday music (Downtown Portland location). Because I had been living in California for 14 months I have not had the chance to go record shopping since back in Portland, Everyday Music had changed their whole store around. The checkout area had moved, the genres moved, pretty much the only thing that seemed to be in the same place was the classical music section and the listening station. I did my rounds, looking through the electronic music section first, select artists in the Hip-Hop section, and then ventured my way to the Experimental vinyl section after browsing through the Record Sore Day releases. Here in the Experimental section I found Impractical Cockpit. I had never heard of this band though supposedly they have released five albums before To Be Treated, the one I stumbled upon. The listening station had a line, and I did not feel like waiting, so for $6.00 I decided to give it a try based on it's cover and it saying on the vinyl it self that it featured a track with a trumpet, I love trumpet! I am split on this album, most of it is grungy, crappy singing, and simple drum beats. On the other hand, there is wonderful noise, beautiful soundscapes, and some fun randomness. The most abstract yet my favorite of the album is called North 41° 53' 0" - Longitude: West 70° 45" 46' some noise and other weird sounds, while a small group of people yell out what seems to be random numbers, you can listen to that song and some of their other, here. There is defiantly way better noise and experimental music out there. I would not recommend this record to anyone at least not as a great release. But for six dollars it was worth the risk and from the enjoyment I get from North 41° 53' 0" - Longitude: West 70° 45" 46', I am happy.

Also at Everyday Music that day I picked up the Quakers album I blogged about weeks ago "They're here to shake the foundations". I was super excited for the instrumental versions and they did not disappoint. But I must say I was pleasantly impressed by the originals as well. Great album, plus I found the double CD for $8.50 used!

No comments:

Post a Comment